December is the month of mince pies! Perfect to enjoy with friends, family and lots of mulled wine, these festive treats are a delicious Christmas staple. But this special recipe, made with Biona Organic Coconut oil and organic vegan mincemeat, adds a festive twist: chocolate! Here below what you’ll need:
INGREDIENTS (serves: 12):
- 280g plain flour, sifted
- 125g Biona coconut sugar, sifted
- 50g Biona Organic Dark Chocolate Spread
- pinch salt
- 200g Biona Organic Coconut oil, melted
- 2 flax eggs
- 500g ready-made vegan mincemeat
- 2 clementines, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp plant milk
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt together in a bowl. Mix in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the flax egg & chocolate spread until the mixture comes together in clumps (you may need to a little cold water). Knead the dough briefly until smooth, wrap in a beeswax wrap and leave to chill in the fridge for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
- Mix the mincemeat, clementine zest and juice together in a bowl.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge, and roll out to a thickness of 0.5cm/¼in. Using a 7.5cm/3in fluted cutter, stamp out 12 discs from the pastry and use them to line a 12-hole bun tin. Fill each hole with two teaspoons of the mincemeat mixture and brush the edges with a little plant milk.
- Using a 6cm/2½in fluted cutter, cut out 12 circles and use them to top the mince pies, pressing the edges together with your fingertips. Brush the top of each mine pie with more plant milk. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry is cooked through. Leave to cool and dust with icing sugar.
Thanks to Biona for the recipe!
Looking for more recipe inspiration? Click here!