Autumn is the season of figs. This versatile and sweet ingredient has got many health benefits and can be used in many recipes! Today we recommend this rustic Fig & Almond cake, to enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee during the fall season. Here below what you’ll need:
- 12 to 14 ripe figs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 130g natural raw almonds
- 50g sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling
- 30g all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Heat the oven to 180C degrees. Butter a 9-inch fluted tart pan or pie pan and set aside.
- Put almonds and sugar in a food processor and grind to a coarse powder. Add flour, baking powder, a pinch of cinnamon and salt; combine all together.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, honey and almond extract. Then add the almond mixture and beat for a minute until batter is completely mixed. Pour the batter into the pan.
- Remove stem from each fig and cut in half. Arrange fig halves cut-side up over the batter. If you want you can sprinkle figs with some chopped almonds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until golden outside and dry at centre. Cool before serving.
Looking for more recipe inspiration? Click here!