The great thing about soup is that, with just a few cheap ingredients, you can make up a filling and nutrient rich dish and then keep leftovers for another day in the fridge! Warming, healing, nourishing, this easy butternut squash and carrot soup is a healthy and tasty way to up your five-a-day and it’s perfect for the whole family! So, here below what you’ll need:
INGREDIENTS (SERVES: 6):
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1.5 litres hot vegetable stock
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Pumpkin seeds for garnishing
- Cheese chunks for garnishing
- In a large pan, fry the diced onion in oil until translucent and soft. Then add garlic, the butternut squash and the carrots and stir, cooking for a further 5 minutes. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour over stock and bring to boil. Allow to simmer gently until the vegetables are tender (for about 30 minutes).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Using a hand blender, blend to a smooth soup. If too thick, add a little more stock.
- Serve in a bowl with some cheese chunks on top and some pumpkin seeds.
Looking for more recipe inspiration? Click here!