Only a few people know and use teff flour in their recipes, but this ancient Ethiopian grain is a nutritional powerhouse, packed with vitamins, minerals, fibre, protein and prebiotics. Let’s find out more about this tiny gluten-free seed and all teff flour benefits!
Also known as ‘Williams Lovegrass’, Teff is the smallest and possibly the most ancient of all grains, originated between 4000 BC and 1000 BC. For thousands of years the Ethiopian people have used Teff as the main ingredient of their traditional bread ‘Injera’ – a flat fermented bread with spongy texture that complements their exotic spices.
This fine grain comes in a variety of colours, from white and red to dark brown, and its flour is extremely versatile as it works as a fantastic gluten free replacement for conventional flour.
However, what sets Teff apart from other grains is its outstanding natural combination of nutrients that promote endurance, performance and good health. Many of Ethiopia’s elite runners have attributed their physical abilities to Teff becauase it is a great source of easily digestible protein and a good source of Copper, which provides the body with energy and helps heal muscles, joints and tissue fibre.
LOVEGRASS: THE UNIQUENESS OF ETHIOPIAN TEFF
Lovegrass Ethiopia is on a mission to share the benefits and the uniqueness of Ethiopian Teff with the world and in so doing open a fair market and tell the story of the traditional farmer. They explain us that not only does Teff help suffering from Celiac disease (being naturally gluten-free) but it also has many amazing benefits:
For Your bones
• Teff is a good source of calcium and manganese which are critical in ensuring that bones solidify properly.
For Your Gut
• IBS sufferers have claimed Teff has been life-changing as it relieves inflammation, constipation, bloating, cramping, and other serious gastrointestinal issues.
• It’s a great source of prebiotic fibre which stimulates the growth of good gut bacteria.
• Teff supports Colon health and digestion with a high composition (20% – 40%) of “resistant starch”, a recently-discovered dietary fibre.
• The high iron levels in Teff support your body’s ability to produce hemoglobin which supports oxygenation of your heart and other organs.
• Iron can help reduce dizziness, cognitive impairment, muscle cramps, and headaches.
• Teff has been recommended to patients suffering from anemia.
For Your Immune System
• Most grains provide minerals but the levels found in Teff are exceptional. Not only does Teff offer a high source of B vitamins but it is the only grain or cereal known to offer significant amounts of Vitamin C
• Teff is also high in essential minerals – magnesium, calcium and zinc.
Ready to prepare healthy and delicious gluten-free treats with the amazing Lovegrass Teff Flour? Find the range in our shops!