We love Fritters, because they require minimal effort to make and are perfect for a speedy meal, as party food or brunch dish! You can make delicious fritters out of any vegetable, but today we want to recommend the ones made with courgette in this perfect recipe created by Bonsan. Delicious on their own and terrific with their amazing Beetroot and Horseradish pate, which you can find in our stores! Here below what you will need:
Ingredients (8 Fritters):
500g courgettes, coarsely grated
1 garlic clove
1 spring onion
Zest of half a lemon
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp capers, chopped
½ tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
½ tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
1 tbsp ground flax seed
¼ cup wholemeal flour or rice flour
1/8 cup breadcrumbs
Oil for frying
Bonsan Beetroot and Horseradish pate for dipping
Fresh side salad
• Add 2 tbsp of water to the flax seed. Mix well and leave in the fridge to thicken.
• Season the grated courgette with salt and place in a fine sift. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
• After 30 mins, squeeze out all the liquid using a muslin cloth in order to get rid of as much moisture as possible.
• Place the squeezed courgette in a bowl, add herbs, lemon zest, pepper, grated garlic, chopped capers and spring onions to it, and mix well.
• Take the flax seed out of the fridge and add it into the courgettes mixture directly.
• Add enough flour and breadcrumbs to ensure that your mixture isn’t wet, yet you will still be able to form patties out of it easily.
• Put the mixture into the fridge for an hour or so that it is easier to form patties.
• Once you’ve chilled your mixture, form small patties, roughly 50 grams each, with your hands. Grab a chunk of mixture and squeeze it well in your hand first to extract even a tiny amount of excess moisture. Then proceed to form a patty.
• Heat up 1-2 cm of oil in a small pan. Once the oil is hot (but not too hot or else they will burn on the outside), place a few fritters on it and fry them for about 2-3 min, without turning. After 2 minutes, check one of the fritters and if it’s nicely browned gently flip it to the other size and fry for the same amount of time.
• Serve with Bonsan Horseradish and Beetroot pate and a fresh side salad.
Thanks to Bonsan for the recipe.